2007: Marquis’ Who’s Who in the World
Guest editor – Forthcoming, Leisure Studies (Leisure, youth and social media, with Dr Michael Silk and Dt Anthony Bush)
Guest Editor – International Qualitative Studies in Education
Guest Editor – Sport, Education and Society
Editorial Board: Sport Education and Society
Guest Editor: International Qualitative Studies in Education
Founder of International Gender Sport and Society Forum (GSSF, current membership of over 150 International scholars in this field)
2004-2007: Editorial Board Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy Journal.
Invited Associated Fellow of The Royal Society of Medicine
Invited Member of ICONet (International Critical Obesity Network)
International Olympic Academy Participants Association
Autobiography Study Group (British Sociological Association)
British Educational Research Association Member
British Educational Research Association Special Interest Group – Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy
2010: Economic and Social Research Council Peer Review College Invited Member (review college members are expected to provide expert quality reviews of grant proposals and final reports).
2006: Invited member of International meeting on Genetics Technology and Sport: Focus on Geneotyping, Genetic Tests and Selection. UK Sport. October 2006.
2005: Invited member of Foresight Obesity scoping workshops, informing the Government office of Science and Technology on Obesity issues.
BOOK PROPOSAL REFEREE
Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, Oxon and New York
RESEARCH COUNCIL REFEREE
Economic Social and Research Council: Academic Reviewer for the Peer Review College for Funding Grant Applications
Medical Research Council
REFEREE FOR JOURNALS
Antipode; Autobiography; Body and Society; British Journal Of Physical Education; Canadian Studies; Critical Discourse Studies; European Eating Disorders Review; European Journal Of Physical Education; European Physical Education Review; Feminism and Psychology; Gender and Education; ‘Health’: An Interdisciplinary Journal for the Social Study of Health, Illness and Medicine; International Feminist Journal of Politics; Journal of Curriculum Studies; Leisure Studies; Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy; Social Science and Medicine; Social Theory and Health; Sociological forum; Sociology of Health and Illness; Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise; Qualitative Sociology; Social Science and Medicine; Sociology of Sport Journal; Sport, Education and Society; Sport, Ethics and Philosophy; Women In Sport and Physical Activity Journal
AWARDS AND HONOURS
2014 Bath University Teaching Award: Innovation in Teaching and Learning
2002 International Olympic Committee/International Olympic Academy Grant Award for research at Olympic Study Center, Lausanne, Switzerland
2001 British Olympic Association Representative. International Olympic Academy, Olympia Greece
1998-2001 Director of ‘The Runway’ – UK development programme for Women’s Javelin Throwing, short listed for UK Athletics Initiative of the Year, 2000.
1995 Celsis International Science Student of the Year, Runner up Prize
INVITED PLENARIES AND KEYNOTES
- Invited Speaker: Annual Weight Stigma Conference, University of Kent in Canterbury. June 2014.
- Invited Keynote Speaker; ‘Promoting Social, Emotional, Behavioural and Mental Health in Childhood and Education’. School of Education and Continuing Studies at the University of Portsmouth, Annual Symposium.
- Invited Speaker – Institute of Education, University of London. Sociology of Education Seminar Series March 2014.
- Invited Speaker – University of Brighton, Sociology Seminar Series. Feburary 2014
- Invited speaker and member of ‘core group’ for ESRC Seminar Series: Young Women in Movement – Sexualities, Vulnerabilities, Needs and Norms. Goldsmiths University. 24th November 2009.
- Invited keynote: ESRC Seminar Series, Gender Education and The Body, Lancaster University, September 2008
- Invited speaker: Congress of the European College of Sport Science, Estoril, Portugal, July 9 – 12, 2008.
- Invited Speaker: Physical Education and Childhood Obesity Specialist Seminar, association for Physical Education, May 2007.
- Invited Speaker: Roehampton Seminar Series. April 2007.
- Invited Speaker : Enhancing Physical Capacities: Ethics, Regulation and European Policy Stockholm Bioethics Centre, Stockholm University – 28/29 March 2007
- Invited Plenary Speaker: Bio-pedagogies, University of Wollongong, 2007.
- Invited Plenary Speaker: Expanding the Obesity debate, University of Limerick, Ireland, Jan 2006.
- 2005 Invited speaker British Sociological Association, and British Psychological Association Seminar events on ‘weighty issues’.
- Co-presenter Keynote presentation – International Olympic Committee Third World Conference on Women and Sport. Marrakech, Morocco, March 2004.
International Reviewer for International Electronic Arts Conference 2009